Style File: Rebel Rebel

Style File
thumbnail Rebel Rebel
May 7th 2013, 16:03

There were plenty of quasi-rebellious aesthetics at last night’s Met Ball, like bleached, black, and safety-pinned hair (from Anne Hathaway, Karlie Kloss, and Giovanna Battaglia, respectively), torn-fishnet looks (Miley Cyrus and Madonna), and dangerous hardware (Joan Smalls had a razor-blade earring, and ear cuffs and cage rings abounded). But as Anthony Vaccarello put it, “Punk is an attitude,”—that’s to say, starlets can wear all the ripped gowns and goth makeup they’d like, but if they don’t have that hard-edged “who cares” demeanor, they’re just another chick in a punk costume. While on the red carpet, we gave the Met Ball’s sartorial stars a chance to earn some cred and asked them about their most rebellious moments. Here’s what they said:

Greta Gerwig: “Last year at the Met Ball, I fell down an entire flight of stairs. I won’t do it this year. I’m trying to not drink as much. There’s something about well-behaved starlets that makes me just want to burn something.”

Kate Upton: “I don’t really know that I went through a rebellious phase. Maybe it was starting as a swimsuit model and going into high fashion.”

Joseph Altuzarra: “I used to wear one long, dangly earring. It was very ‘gay pirate.’”

Allison Williams: “When glitter was really big, I wasn’t allowed to wear it. But I’d steal it, put it in my backpack, and put it on, on the bus. Once, my mom surprised me at school and found me covered in glitter and was very angry. I also lied that my grandmother was dead once. She wasn’t. That was pretty rebellious.”

Jimmy Fallon: “I taped posters on my ceiling when my parents really didn’t want me to do that.”

Anja Rubik: “The most rebellious thing I’ve ever done is I snuck backstage [at a] Marilyn Manson [concert] many, many years ago. I was a huge fan of his. It was cool.”

Anthony Vaccarello: “The most rebellious thing I’ve ever done? That dress for last year’s Met Ball.”

Tom Ford: “I don’t drink anymore. I can’t tell you.”

Matthew James Thomas: “I did graffiti, lots of graffiti, when I was a kid. I had my own tag word that I used to use. I can’t tell you [what it is]. I’ll have the police knocking on my door.”

Jason Wu: “I dyed my hair every color when I was young.”

Mindy Kaling: “I’m a friendly person. The most punk thing about me is that I’m friendly, so I’m like, Oh, I guess that’s a subversion.”

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment