Style File: Designer Diary: Misha Nonoo’s Postcard From Moscow

Style File
thumbnail Designer Diary: Misha Nonoo's Postcard From Moscow
Oct 17th 2012, 20:32

When she isn’t working in her studio, on-the-rise New York designer Misha Nonoo spends a great deal of her time globe-trotting. (Back in May, Nonoo married her now-husband Alexander Gilkes in Venice, with the likes of Princess Eugenie and Beatrice, Helen Rockefeller, Lana Del Rey, and Zani Gugelmann all in attendance.) More recently, Nonoo made a trek to Moscow and she captured it all on camera. Here, she shares her trip exclusively with Style.com.

As I left for my inspiration trip to Russia last week, I wondered anxiously how I would find this far-off, foreign land. However, I needn’t have worried. Upon landing I discovered that Russians and I have much more in common than I initially imagined, including an appreciation for architecture and history and a deep love of gold and vodka. From the awe-inspiring St. Basil’s Cathedral (pictured, above) and its candy cane-inspired domes to the formidable Russian art collections on display at the Tretyakov Gallery, the attention to detail and color that pre-revolutionary Russia demonstrates is deeply affecting. The trip wasn’t all inspiration, however, as we managed to slip away to the inimitable Café Pushkin for lunch, where the rooms are more like libraries one would find in a storied old home. I also dined at Turandot, an exquisite architectural gem of a restaurant that cites French, Venetian, and Chinese styles amongst its influences. The murals and domed ceiling were some of the most magical I’ve ever seen. They were also quite liberal with their signature cocktails, which led to my adventure on the last day, to the Russian Banya, a collection of hot rooms and cold pools meant to cleanse and detoxify the body. Despite my hesitation, I re-emerged feeling the benefits and enjoyed what I felt was a truly Russian experience.

—Misha Nonoo


“Me at Café Pushkin.”


“Gold, gold, gold!”


“The domed ceiling at Turandot.”


“The legendary luxury food emporium Gum (pronounced Goom). I was mesmerized by their vast array of tea and vodka—two of my favorite beverages.”


“The use of color and shape in Russian architecture and design is truly inspiring.”


“Unwinding at the Russian Banya.”

Photos: Misha Nonoo

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment